301 Preston Street
Wolfe City, TX 75496
What is face-to-face youth protection?
Face-to-face youth protection is a 1 hour class taught in person by a certified instructor which covers the details of how to recognize and prevent child abuse. The principal difference over the online version is that it is taught in a classroom session in an interactive way allowing for discussion within the group. A written test is administered as a part of the training.
Is it unique to Circle Ten Council?
It is a requirement for specific Texas based youth activities.
Why is it necessary?
The State of Texas requires additional certification beyond what BSA national provides for specific youth activities. This training meets what the State of Texas requires.
What specific activities require face-to-face YPT certification:
- Adult overnight stays at Council Organized Summer Camps.
- Leaders who participate at Council Organized Circle Ten Summer Camps
- Adult participation as leaders at Day Camps
- Adult overnight stays at Council Organized Circle Ten Winter Camps.
What activities do not require this special certification?
- Adult overnight participation in troop or pack campouts.
- Parent visits to any activity which does not involve overnight stays or leadership roles as described above.
- Day activities such as Cub Fun days.
If a person has a face-to-face certification, is the national on-line Youth Protection training required?
No, face-to-face certification is sufficient and recommended.
How long is the certification valid?
Two years from the date of the training.
If a parent or guardian has no leadership roles, but comes to some events like unit meetings, courts of honor and cub fun days, are they required to have either the YPT or the Face-to-face certification?
Not in all cases, but it is strongly recommended for all parents or guardians of scouts. Any registered adult in the program must have either the on-line or Face-to-face Youth Protection certification.
Which of the two certifications is preferred.
The Council recommends the Face-to-Face training since it covers all activities.